AMERICAN GENERATION 2.3 - THIRD CHILD OF CHRISTIAN BRENNEMAN (I)
WILLIAM BRENNEMAN was born about 1730 and died in Cordous Twp, York Co., PA before Aug 15, 1787 when his will was probated.
The will mentioned his wife, Mary, and seven children:
In December 1761, William and his brothers Christian and Samuel moved from Towamencin to Tredyffrin Twp, Chester Co., PA. Here he bought a 50-acre farm from George Rink and wife Catharine, continued to cultivate it, and also carried on the weaver's trade.
He also owned a 7-acre plot in Easttown township. On May 14, 1770, he sold out his holdings in Chester County to John David, mason, and moved with his brothers to Codorus Township in York County. On Feb. 7, 1771 he bought for 120 pounds from Jacob Neff of Cordorus two tracts of land, known as "Neaff's Settlement" and "Neaff's Folly," totalling 200 acres. His brother Samuel bought other land adjoining this property.
At William's death he left his homestead farm to his son Christian. The other children scattered to various parts of the nation. The only descendants of William in Codorus today (1938) who bear the Brenneman name are consequently all descendants of Christian.
He was a soldier in the Revolution, serving in Capt. Michael Lechner's Company, and in 1782, in Capt. John Myers' Company, York County militia. He was closely associated during his lifetime with his neighbor Joseph Brillhart, whom he made his executor.
Known descendants of William Brenneman, the third child of Christian Brenneman (I) are detailed below. William was a second generation American. This listing starts with William's children--the third generation.
3. Sarah Brenneman. (1) Believed to have been born before 1765. No further information.
3. Christian Brenneman. (2) Born about 1770. Died in 1840 in Codorus Township. Married aboaut 1789. Six children. He continued to live on his father's farm of 200 acres, which he in turn left to his son Christian.
4. Jacob Brenneman. (1) Died before 1840. Married Catharine Hoff. He is buried in York County, PA. His widow married a Mr. LaHay and is buried in Locust Grove Cemetery, 5.5 miles northwest of Cambridge City, Henry County, IN. He had five children.
5. Mary Brenneman. (1) Married John Wantz. 7 children.
6. Eli Wantz. (1)
6. David Wantz. (2)
6. Josiah Wantz. (3)
6. Daniel Wantz. (4) Lived at 1945 East Broad Street, Newcastle, IN.
6. John Wantz. (5) Lived in Baltimore, MD. In 1938 reported to be living near Newcastle, IN.
6. Mary Wantz. (6)
6. Sarah Wantz. (7)
For additional information, see The Brenneman History, 1938.